Thursday, August 14, 2008

Who am I? A bit about Bethany

Hi everyone, My name is Bethany. I'm 19, Student at IWU, and i love to knit.

I have had an eating disorder since i was young. I was diagnosed with anorexia spring of 2008.

I was IP at Pacific Shores Hospital in April of 2008. I remember when I was in treatment one of the things that just made my day was getting mail. I actually ordered things so that I would get mail.

Before I left for treatment, a few friends of mine gave me Flynn. She is a lovely pink ducky that i could take with me to PSH to cuddle with. She rode with me on my first plane ride. With me on the long drive to PSH from the airport. And she was with me after all the hard meals and moments. She meant the world to me.



When a close friend of mine got sick and had to be hospitalized, i knitted her a buddie to send to her like my friends did with Flynn. It made me feel great to see how he brightened her day.





For those of you that are going, or in treatment, or know someone that is. I would love to be able to do the same for you. I would love to knit you a lovely huggable pillow buddie to go with you on your journey toward recovery. Recovery can be lonely, but you don't have to do it alone.

If you would like to be involved or would like to receive a knitted recovery buddie please email me at the email listed below.

also if anyone would like to donate toward this project, click the button on the side. all funds go toward postage and supplies.

Bethany
recoverybuddies@gmail.com

8 comments:

Unknown said...

i would love a recovery buddy! what a great idea. email me if you want.

bailey@fourmortals.org

Bethany said...

sent you an email :]

Cassidy said...

oh wow!
this idea is so adorable
i wouldn't ask because
hey its a little weird
but did you have like a pattern or something
to make those
i learned to crochet in treatment
and i might be going back soon and
i'd love to try and make one of these
honestly the cutest thing i have ever seen!

busyman said...

You are inspiring. I would love to help get the word out. What a great opportunity. Let me know what I can do...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bethany -

It was really inspiring to come across your site. I've had AN-P since I was young and first got noticably sick at 13. I have been in and out of hospitals and treatments for the last 12 years. I am struggling a lot right now but really want to recover FOR GOOD! I recently graduated college (a huge accomplishment for me, as I spent over half of college on medical leaves and in hospitals) but now am having major insurance issues. If things work out then I am probably going to do Partial Hospitalization as an alternative to IP this time. I would really love a Buddie and think that would remind me when I'm upset that there is hope and to use positive coping mechanisms to calm down. Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity. My e-mail is EvieAnne221@hotmail.com

Best wishes,
Evie

Anonymous said...

I had been wanting to get my 15 year old daughter a Buddie for almost two years now. She was admitted to a children's state hospital in February. This week she had to be restrained and get two injections. I opened up my inbox and saw that her buddie had been shipped yesterday. TRULY an answer to prayer!! Than you

Anna said...

This is amazing!

Unknown said...

i tried to get one a while ago. how long does it take?